Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:44 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi All,

I took some NEF pictures of blue skies, edited the exposure in CS5 (NEF) and save as JPEG. The blue sky in the NEF looks correct compared to the JPEG. The JPEG came out orange in areas of grey.

I am new to photography and CS5! Help! What can I do to convert in CS5 to JPEG in order to maintain the color?

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:13 am 
TPMG ADDICT

sounds like a color profile issue.

When saving to jpeg, you might want to "convert to profile" - srgb (web) first and then "save for web" - jpeg

DONT save over your file after you convert however to retain the color info.

"Save for Web" might work directly (without the first step) but i find doing both steps helps consistency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:10 am 
Official TPMG Contributor

Have thanks: 6 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/enian82
Hello Li
The issue is ....NEF Nikon never gives their codes to Adobe ...Same with Canon...So their way of interpretation of the file is differnt from their respective owners.....
Where is in case of jpg ..which is already flatten ....Thats why you dont see that issue.....
Try shooting a monochrome in camera and open it in the photoshop or lightroom....you will never see the gray scale image....

The only way to retain the color information as shot is ...open it in capture NX which sucks big time and then export them into jpg ....
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:30 am 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 3 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/qualdoth/
yeshwanth wrote:
Hello Li
The issue is ....NEF Nikon never gives their codes to Adobe ...Same with Canon...So their way of interpretation of the file is differnt from their respective owners.....
Where is in case of jpg ..which is already flatten ....Thats why you dont see that issue.....
Try shooting a monochrome in camera and open it in the photoshop or lightroom....you will never see the gray scale image....

The only way to retain the color information as shot is ...open it in capture NX which sucks big time and then export them into jpg ....
Cheers

You're right that Adobe has to reverse engineer how to read RAW files. Having said that, this advice is incongruent with the OP's findings.

They've mentioned they like what they see in CS5 when they open the NEF file but do not like the results when they output to JPG. That indicates that they don't have an issue with how CS5 is reading the RAW file information. The problem, as chopper indicated, is likely a profile issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:59 am 

yeshwanth wrote:
Hello Li

Cheers

Would not colour chart help?
That should probably allow for very accurate rendition of colours whether with or without the use of proprietary RAW converter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:46 am 
Official TPMG Contributor

Have thanks: 6 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/enian82
Quote:
this advice is incongruent with the OP's findings.

I stand corrected Qualdoth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:05 pm 

Thank you everyone for replying!

I tried to use sRGB, ProPhoto, AppleRGB and ColorMatch in Convert to Profile settings in CS5. None of the above settings could help to change the cloud colour.

I did use the ViewNX and preview the image. It seems the sky color looks orange under the ViewNX and when I output this same image to jpeg, the sky does look orange.

This seems that yeshwanth theory is right - PS doesn't understand how to decode all the color codes from Nikon correctly.

So I was shooting directly at the sky and I guess this is a bad thing because it creates bright bursts and change the sky to orange too? I used a Circular Polarizer and was hoping it can darken the sky so the clouds can shop up!

Again thank you all very much for helping!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:50 am 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 3 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/qualdoth/
The fact that the sky is looking orange, assuming it wasn't sunset, is rather strange....