Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:44 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Have thanks: 1 time
Can't figure out this Canon CPS loaner/test drive reservation thing. In the past, when I ask for a piece of hardware for a specific date, the item always arrived the day before I specified. What's your experience?

This was really my fault as I was trying to be greedy with the 3 day rental. I put tomorrow's date as the requested date expecting it to be delivered today so I could use the lens tonight and tomorrow for work shoot and have enough time to send it back before due date. Sure enough I get a confirmation that the item will be shipped a day prior. No delivery today. Well, I'll have it for tomorrow I hope. lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:55 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fizbot/
I always have just gone to the depot to pick it up as it's on the way to/from work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:54 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Lucky guy! I wish I worked/lived close enough to do likewise. Serves me right for being greedy! lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:43 pm 

What are their rates for lens rentals. eg. TS-E45mm f/2.8L and is there a different rate for different plan? Do they have a rate list availble somewhere?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:29 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

45TSE is $40 for 1st day, $30 for additional days, $120 for the week. Not sure how much that compares to Henrys, Vistek and Headshots.

Well Canon dropped the ball. My test-drive lens never arrived. Canon CPS FAIL!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:30 pm 

Which lens you looking to rent Carlton?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:45 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

I was going to test drive the 35L. I like the lens a lot but kept holding out 'cause I kept hearing rumors that a newer version was going to be released. I've just been booking it out for test drives with Canon when needed so I've bought myself some time of not having to buy it outright. :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:56 am 
TPMG Administrator

Have thanks: 11 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherbrian/
Perhaps PotatoEYE will speak up with a more thorough response than the following: he rented it once and showed me some of the results. It has way too much CA for that price for me. Comparatively, I like the results that come out of the much cheaper Nikon 35 1.8G. Not that that works for you.. just sayin.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:08 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

ions wrote:
Perhaps PotatoEYE will speak up with a more thorough response than the following: he rented it once and showed me some of the results. It has way too much CA for that price for me. Comparatively, I like the results that come out of the much cheaper Nikon 35 1.8G. Not that that works for you.. just sayin.

Yup. CA and a little soft wide open were some of the reasons I'm holding off. I'm sure if a Mark II gets released it'll be in the $2K range. Too bad Sigma didn't make one for FF cameras.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:51 pm 

I don't understand what is special about a 35mm zoom range, but I find myself using this lens a lot. I agree that the CA can exist, but disagree that softness has been an issue (not saying it's not there, just noting it doesn't impact me). I've had mine for over 4yrs now and I've used this lens more than I ever thought I would.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:00 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Itsaphoto wrote:
I don't understand what is special about a 35mm zoom range, but I find myself using this lens a lot. I agree that the CA can exist, but disagree that softness has been an issue (not saying it's not there, just noting it doesn't impact me). I've had mine for over 4yrs now and I've used this lens more than I ever thought I would.

The softness I agree is not really a huge issue and there's something about the look from the 35mm. I may end up getting it sometime this year. :P

On another note, guess what showed up yesterday at work?!The good folks at Canon CPS shipped it overnight on the 20th for the 20th! Idiots.