Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:17 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Sorry everyone if this is not the place to post it.

Have a question about a camera i saw today in Downtown Camera. It's a mint Hassy 503C/M with 80 F2.8 lens, waist level finder etc etc. Mint condition indeed but it's priced at $2000. I've been keeping an eye on this setup online for a while and i have no doubt that it's well overpriced.

Just out of curiosity, why would a place like that price its equipment higher than what seems to be a market value? I mean, are there really people out there buying medium format without researching? Seriously...it just boggles my mind that i have to order from the States and can't buy decent stuff in Toronto...just curious why is that?!

Hope this is not inappropriate...if it is, moderator please delete. I bought stuff in Downtown Camera before (new equipment), i have nothing against them...just curious why is equipment kept sitting on shelves which pushed some of us to order from the States since it's cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:35 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/potatoeye/
it's because it's an active camera shop. They want to include all their expenses and also might cover a 15 day warranty for you or something :) buy here and save

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:35 am 

have you tried asking for a price match? I've bought a few lenses and equipments from them in the past and before I buy the stuffs I always do research and show them ( by print or web link) of a lower price of the lens/equipment I am looking for.... so far they always match that price.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:38 am 

bluenite05, i haven't and that's a good idea. i should do that but it would be nice to talk to someone else but Stan there...i can't outtalk that guy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:53 pm 
TPMG ADDICT

Aleksandra - ask for Ken Kwan and tell him I referred you. He's the only guy I deal with at DTC. I avoid Stan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:15 pm 

Thank you, Ken. Appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:15 am 

Ahhh...because it is used equipment and you get to actually see it and try it out before you buy it vs. looking at a picture on the Internet that you are not sure if it is actually the one you will be getting or if it even works as described...because there is a guy called Stan that you can call or visit and complain to vs. an e-mail address of a person you have no idea of what they even look like...

Just a thought...

Aleksandra wrote:
Sorry everyone if this is not the place to post it.

Have a question about a camera i saw today in Downtown Camera. It's a mint Hassy 503C/M with 80 F2.8 lens, waist level finder etc etc. Mint condition indeed but it's priced at $2000. I've been keeping an eye on this setup online for a while and i have no doubt that it's well overpriced.

Just out of curiosity, why would a place like that price its equipment higher than what seems to be a market value? I mean, are there really people out there buying medium format without researching? Seriously...it just boggles my mind that i have to order from the States and can't buy decent stuff in Toronto...just curious why is that?!

Hope this is not inappropriate...if it is, moderator please delete. I bought stuff in Downtown Camera before (new equipment), i have nothing against them...just curious why is equipment kept sitting on shelves which pushed some of us to order from the States since it's cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:10 am 

Kiteguy, you made some good points. However, there are reputable photo forums where one can buy equipment from people who are not exactly ghosts-like so I guess price difference wouldn't be worth the pleasure of listening to Stan talking to himself (since talking WITH him is really next to impossible). :) I was more curious how is it lucrative to businesses not to be price competitive but i guess i don't understand enough to know it.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:06 am 
Official TPMG Contributor

Have thanks: 19 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrix_feet/
Aleksandra wrote:
Kiteguy, you made some good points. However, there are reputable photo forums where one can buy equipment from people who are not exactly ghosts-like so I guess price difference wouldn't be worth the pleasure of listening to Stan talking to himself (since talking WITH him is really next to impossible). :) I was more curious how is it lucrative to businesses not to be price competitive but i guess i don't understand enough to know it.
Thanks

Nothing beats holding the camera in your hand. I have had both pleasant and unpleasant surprises from online sellers even those with high ratings. Also old cameras may break after a month or may go on working for years so it helps to have a few month's warranty.

It's simple arm yourself with KEH prices. Go back to DTC and bargain (use Ken's reference if you wish). If you don't like their offer then simple buy elsewhere.

The other week I took a film student into the store introduced her as a new customer I ask them to give her their best price and they gave her the best price in town (I know as I had done my homework) on the new Nikon 50mm f1.4 prime. Price was comparable to ordering from B&H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:13 am 

The pricing could also be a result of that particular item being on consignment. I don't know as I haven't been to the back of the store to search or look at that item but I do know that Stan will sometimes accept stuff on Consignment. If it doesn't sell it just sits there. Perfect example (but likely not a consignment piece) is the Leica M4 that's sitting in the display case with the Voigtlander lenses. I think Stan's got it priced at $1350. It's been there for-ev-er. The guys (all the guys) at DTC are open to bargaining when it comes to the used gear - at least they have in my experience. You can often times talk them down a bit but, like many folks, you're not going to lowball them.

We photographers are a funny lot. When it comes to selling our used equipment we all want top dollar but by damn when we are buying someone elses used equipment we all want to low ball like there's no tomorrow. :D :D :D

Cheers,
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:29 am 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 25 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/lxdesign
It does seem a bit pricey ... expecially compared to what I paid for my Mamiya AFD with 2 lenses. But if you don't like the price - the beauty of these older camera's is that .. there will always be another one, and maybe at a more attractive price.

Try haggling with them, and if you don't get your price, walk away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:23 pm 

Thank you all for insightful comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:12 pm 

dcsang wrote:
We photographers are a funny lot. When it comes to selling our used equipment we all want top dollar but by damn when we are buying someone elses used equipment we all want to low ball like there's no tomorrow. :D :D :D

it's not just photographers. i build old japanese cars as another hobby and it's the same thing there. when it comes to rare parts, they like selling high but always try to lowball you when they're buying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:23 pm 

Is it the 503CW? Is there a 503CM? I can understand the 503CW being more expensive than an older model 500CM or 501CM, but functionally they're pretty much the same. If price is a factor I would buy a 501CM and a CF model lens. Optics should be nearly identical and you should be able to get the kit for about $1000 all in. For even cheaper you could get the 500CM and the old C version lenses, like in the $500 range. Again, check KEH.com for a barometer on price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:31 pm 
Official TPMG Contributor

Have thanks: 19 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrix_feet/
Burlap Jacket wrote:
Is it the 503CW? Is there a 503CM? I can understand the 503CW being more expensive than an older model 500CM or 501CM, but functionally they're pretty much the same. If price is a factor I would buy a 501CM and a CF model lens. Optics should be nearly identical and you should be able to get the kit for about $1000 all in. For even cheaper you could get the 500CM and the old C version lenses, like in the $500 range. Again, check KEH.com for a barometer on price.

The Russian pawn shop at queen and church wanted to sell me an older chrome lens system looked to be in good shape with warranty for $500 but I figure if you want to go Hassy you need the black lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:15 pm 

Thank you, guys. As i said, i've been keeping an eye on this very system for a while (including KEH) so i'd say i'm fairly aware of what the price should be (according to the current market).
It's the 503CM i'm talking about.