Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:21 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/potatoeye/
I am thinking of getting the Cokin P system and a Singh Ray grad ND for landscape work, is that a good idea instead of cheap and poor quality Cokin filters? It would cost me around 150 to get the whole thing with 1 filter, which is ok, any other suggestions on systems? Comments on using some?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:51 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Have thanks: 1 time
Supposedly SinghRay is neutral gray while Cokin and Lee etc supposedly has a slight colour cast. Humm, I wouldn't say Cokin are poor quality filters. They're still optical grade resin just like Lee etc. Even the Singh Ray ND grads are optical resin filters (I have the reverse ND version and a couple others). I've been using Cokin P series for as long as I can remember... 15 odd years?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:40 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
PotatoEYE wrote:
I am thinking of getting the Cokin P system and a Singh Ray grad ND for landscape work, is that a good idea instead of cheap and poor quality Cokin filters? It would cost me around 150 to get the whole thing with 1 filter, which is ok, any other suggestions on systems? Comments on using some?

ASFIK the Singh Ray filters are 10cm (4") wide. Too large for the Cokin P mount, you'd need the Z holder.
EDIT:just checked, they do offer filters for the P mount so disregard the above comment.

On the other hand I've just bought the P system with some Cokin filters and they fit my current needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:11 am 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 25 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/lxdesign
I have been using the Cokin filters for years.... They are not bad, but yes - under certain conditions it can shift colours in a scene. Not generally noticed in the majority of landscapes.

I notice the collie shift more when I am doing waterfall photography. The Singhray filters are the best, but bloody expensive in comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:24 am 

Have thanks: 3 times
Flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/RyJTY
I aspire to the Cokin P/Singh Ray combo, but for the number of times I've actually used them I can't really justify the cost. I figure that one day I will learn how to reduce the colour cast in post.

With more reasonable shipping now from B&H, I may have to have another look at that decision.