Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:43 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Photography friends...

It's been a LONG time since I've posted here - mostly because I just have no time anymore for photography as I used to. That being said, we recently needed to replace our point and shoot and the mirrorless trend seemed to be the way to go.

I bought the Nikon 1 J1 and the Olympus Mini PEN E-PM1. Price difference is about $100 between then with the Olympus being cheaper. I'm running my own shot tests to see which I like better (mostly concerned about low light shooting).

Anyone have any compelling reasons for one over the other? The Olympus sensor is bigger, with higher res and SHOULD perform slightly better in low light. The Nikon has a bunch of gimmicky features, but has a flash built in, where are the Olympus comes with it, but it is removable.

Thoughts? Anyone have any experience with either of these?

Thanks!!

Deep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:48 am 
TPMG Administrator

Have thanks: 11 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherbrian/
Between the two I'd go Olympus.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:10 am 

Could you perhaps tell me why you would? My preliminary tests last night in low light actually show the Nikon giving better images with less grain.

Trust me, I'd love to have the Olympus be better (Save some money!) but for the sake of $100, I'd rather have the better of the two.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:45 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Have thanks: 11 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherbrian/
In all honesty I haven't touched either but, as I do, I read a lot of reviews. As you probably already have. So yeah, not worth much as advice. Although I have not directly compared those two in reviews I have noticed that Nikon's new system is panned by all but Nikon diehards.

What about the Panasonic or Sony options in that category?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:48 pm 

They all seemed to be much more expensive - these two are on sale everywhere right now.

This being said, after testing more, and the wife really thinking about it - all this might be moot... She really thinking she might not want to carry it around as it is bigger then a point and shoot. I've also been noticing alot of blurry picture problems with the J1, something well documented out there, that the new firmware was supposed to fix, but I still see the problem. The Olympus at the $279 price honestly doesn't seem to take much better pictures then a higher end point and shoot, in terms of low light, etc.

Thinking we might end up going that way... Either the Canon SX260HS or the Sony DSCHX10V... Any thoughts on those?