TPMG Administrator

Have thanks: 11 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherbrian/
Details:

What: Spring Waterfalls!
When: Saturday June 4th
Time: 10AM until Sunset+
Where: Aldershot GO Station North Lot
Bring: Camera stuff (Camera, Tripod, ND filters), snack, water, comfy walking shoes, sunscreen, bug spray.

The meeting spot will be the north lot of Aldershot GO station at 10AM. It's easy to get to; take the 403 Hamilton bound and get off at Waterdown Rd. Yes, there is now an exit there, it's been open for a few months. From the exit hang a left onto Waterdown Rd., go over the highway and take a left at the set of lights down into Aldershot GO station. We will meet at the far lot by the ramp back onto the 403. From there we will car pool a bit up to Grindstone Creek Falls. There's limited parking at Grindstone Creek, thus the car pooling. It's just a few minutes, maybe 5 minutes, from the GO station.

We will be starting with Grindstone Creek Falls and the creek itself. It's a nice area with a flowing creek trailing down from the falls. The flow is pretty decent at Grindstone with a fair plunge and pretty surroundings. It can be precarious to get close and there is some semi-advanced hiking to get to the base of it. If you're not up for that there are other places to shoot it from that are easy-peasy.

The falls from the side vantage point:

Grindstone Creek Waterfalls in Waterdown Ontario by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

Grindstone Creek Falls Christmas 2010 by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

This is Grindstone Creek further down:

Grindstone Creek Waterdown Ontario Canada in the Fall by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

Forest Stream 2 by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

We'll probably spend at least a solid hour there between the falls and a short hike downstream from them. From there we will head back to our cars and the local Tim's cause that's what we do on these things. The Tim's I have in mind is just south of Aldershot station and just west of Waterdown Rd.

It's just a short jaunt from Waterdown over to Tiffany Falls with its scenic little trail to get in. We'll follow this with Stephanie Falls after going by Washboard Falls

Next up is Decew Falls and Mill in Thorold. We're looking at a 45 minute drive from Tiffany Falls to Decew. If we're feeling adventurous we can do the Lower Decew Falls

Here's a shot of Decew with the mill:

Morningstar Mill in Thorold Ontario by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

After this we should be considerably pooped and ready for beer. I mean dinner. Something in St. Catharines, such as the Jack Astor's we hit when we've been in the neighbourhood previously, works for me.

BONUS EVENT!

If the weather is good post dinner we can head down to Port Dalhousie which has a very nice beach for shooting sunset and a cute carousel with some historical interest. I've yet to check the ephemeris if sunset will be in line with Michigan Beach or not, I will update as soon as I do.

Sunset will be over the lake in the direction of Oakville at 8:52.

This should round out a full and exhausting day.

Winter event seen here.
Autumn event seen here.
Last Summer seen here.

My apologies for the delay in itinerary posting.

Last edited by ions on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:44 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:40 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 0 time
I'm away during that time, but would love to do a waterfall (or waterfill :-) ) event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:36 pm 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 25 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/lxdesign
Doors Open weekend .... can't do waterfills :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:17 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Waterfills are AWESOME! What makes this extra sad is that I edited the post a couple times for grammar... at least the 'i' and the 'a' are close enough on the keyboard for it to be a justifiable typo. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:35 am 
TPMG Administrator

Just noticed the conflict with the Wings and Wheels Official Event So, the falls are tentatively moved to the 29th. I could move them to the weekend earlier, the holiday weekend...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:10 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 7 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/janetliz/
I would likely be able to do either the 29th or the Saturday or Sunday of the long weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:15 pm 
TPMG Administrator

The long weekend would likely work for me but I assumed it wouldn't for others...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:27 am 
TPMG Administrator

This is going over well. Moving to Saturday, June 4th to clear a schedule conflict I have and hopefully drum up some more interest. A smaller group will still be a go, I'll pick some super secret ultra awesome waterfalls if we have a smaller group. Really that means falls with limited parking/access. On that note, since no one has selected any falls I'll create an itinerary in the next few days-ish. No bitching about my selection. Well, you can I guess, I just won't care. ;)

My apologies to those that signed up for the 29th and can't make the 4th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:14 am 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 7 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/janetliz/
Sorry, I'm away the first weekend of June.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:43 pm 

Have thanks: 2 times
Gravity and water are my fav, will definitely join you if this is on Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:49 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Alrighty - time for me to get my feet wet after a long dreary winter and spring.

Best stay upstream from me.

I've only seen Balls Falls so I defer selection to others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:00 am 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 25 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/lxdesign
ahh.. just saw the date change. But alas I am still busy -- I am attending the Historic milling society get-together in Spencerville on the 4th. And then probably going to Upper Canada village on the 5th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:07 am 
TPMG Administrator

Sorry folks! A proper list of falls is coming soon. I'll try and put it together tonight. :oops:

Post subject: The Itinerary!
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:34 pm 
TPMG Administrator

The meeting spot will be the north lot of Aldershot GO station. It's easy to get to; take the 403 Hamilton bound and get off at Waterdown Rd. Yes, there is now an exit there, it's been open for a few months. From the exit hang a left onto Waterdown Rd., go over the highway and take a left at the set of lights down into Aldershot GO station. We will meet at the far lot by the ramp back onto the 403. From there we will car pool a bit up to Grindstone Creek Falls. There's limited parking at Grindstone Creek, thus the car pooling. It's just a few minutes, maybe 5 minutes, from the GO station.

We will be starting with Grindstone Creek Falls and the creek itself. It's a nice area with a flowing creek trailing down from the falls. The flow is pretty decent at Grindstone with a fair plunge and pretty surroundings. It can be precarious to get close and there is some semi-advanced hiking to get to the base of it. If you're not up for that there are other places to shoot it from that are easy-peasy.

The falls from the side vantage point:

Grindstone Creek Waterfalls in Waterdown Ontario by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

From the top:

Waterdown Falls Autumn by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

And the bottom:

Grindstone Creek Falls Christmas 2010 by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

This is Grindstone Creek further down:

Grindstone Creek Waterdown Ontario Canada in the Fall by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

Forest Stream 2 by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

We'll probably spend at least a solid hour there between the falls and a short hike downstream from them. From there we will head back to our cars and the local Tim's cause that's what we do on these things. The Tim's I have in mind is just south of Aldershot station and just west of Waterdown Rd.

We'll follow this with Webster's Falls. There will be a parking fee at Webster's. While there we can wander over and look at Tew's if we like.

It's just a short jaunt over to Tiffany Falls with its scenic little trail to get in.

Next up is Decew Falls and Mill in Thorold. We're looking at a 45 minute drive from Tiffany Falls to Decew. If we're feeling adventurous we can do the Lower Decew Falls

Here's a shot of Decew with the mill:

Morningstar Mill in Thorold Ontario by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

After this we should be considerably pooped and ready for beer. I mean dinner. Something in St. Catharines, such as the Jack Astor's we hit when we've been in the neighbourhood previously, works for me.

BONUS EVENT!

If the weather is good post dinner we can head down to Port Dalhousie which has a very nice beach for shooting sunset and a cute carousel with some historical interest. I've yet to check the ephemeris if sunset will be in line with Michigan Beach or not, I will update as soon as I do.

This should round out a full and exhausting day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:16 pm 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/roninbmo/
Would love to shoot the waterfalls, alas need to work to support the obsession. :(

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:09 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

He he he - clever marketing. Show'en great shots of the falls during fall colours and winter. I'm in!!!!

ions wrote:
The meeting spot will be the north lot of Aldershot GO station at 10AM. It's easy to get to

What if one is coming from public transit in T.O. I don't think the Go train goes all the way from Union, does it? Won't it require a bus? The GO schedule is designed for sunburban minds and I can't understand it. :oops:

ions wrote:
Grindstone Creek Falls It can be precarious to get close and there is some semi-advanced hiking to get to the base of it. If you're not up for that there are other places to shoot it from that are easy-peasy.

Am I gonna break my ankle again at one of your ad-hocs?? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:07 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/potatoeye/
philmar wrote:
He he he - clever marketing. Show'en great shots of the falls during fall colours and winter. I'm in!!!!

ions wrote:
The meeting spot will be the north lot of Aldershot GO station at 10AM. It's easy to get to

What if one is coming from public transit in T.O. I don't think the Go train goes all the way from Union, does it? Won't it require a bus? The GO schedule is designed for sunburban minds and I can't understand it. :oops:

ions wrote:
Grindstone Creek Falls It can be precarious to get close and there is some semi-advanced hiking to get to the base of it. If you're not up for that there are other places to shoot it from that are easy-peasy.

If I end up going, I can give you a ride from Old Mill station

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:38 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

PotatoEYE wrote:
philmar wrote:

ions wrote:

ions wrote:

If I end up going, I can give you a ride from Old Mill station

WOW!! Excellent. Thanks.

I hope you decide to go. I was wondering why you hadn't committed yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:17 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Partly because I have not taken 1 shot of a waterfall I like enough to see it as good :lol: partly because of a tentative 5 hr drive up North :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:36 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Phil, if the drive with PotatoEYE doesn't work out the train from Union to Aldershot is easy even though the schedules are difficult to read. (Un)Fortunately I have years of commuting experience on the train from Burlington to Toronto and know the schedule. You would catch the 8:43AM Lakeshore West train from Union which would get you to Aldershot station at 9:48AM. To return there are trains hourly from Aldershot back to Union which leave Aldershot 4 minutes past each hour and arrive at 10 minutes past the next hour. The cost of a return ticket is around $18 I think. Once you're there I have room for you in my car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:15 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Thanks ions, I knew the GO didn't go all the way to Hamilton but I didn't know just how far. Mebbe that's changed?
Holy crap - a whole hour to get to Aldershot? Is GO really that slow? I better set my phone alarm. I don't know why but the GO train always puts me to sleep. I can stay awake on a subway or a VIA train but GO trains put me right out. Must be something they spray in to the air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:24 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Ugh, don't get me started on GO Transit. All of Ontario's public transit systems blow but GO blows that extra bit harder. I pass out on the buses and trains, when I arrive at the destination I feel exhausted. The air is recirculated, poorly, on their buses and trains and the filters RARELY ever get cleaned and never replaced. I got that info directly from a GO bus driver who informed me that he had a problem with them too. He would give the air filter in his bus a squirt with Lysol and found that helped a bit. When I was commuting to York from Burlington on the GO bus I was getting a sinus infection every week. Haven't had one since school ended. But.. uhhh I'm sure you'll be fine. :D

See? You got me started on GO... :D

There's been a couple requests to ditch Webster's, so I'm looking into options that are closer to Decew to replace it. Will post update soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:49 pm 

I'd love to come but rhommel's got me snared on his engagement photos gig on the same day. have fun, everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:45 pm 

If anyone got a spot in their car, I need a ride. Thanks in advance :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:01 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

maybe, old mill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:12 pm 

PotatoEYE wrote:
maybe, old mill

Cool, hopefully you're coming :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:21 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Itinerary updated. I ask people to suggest falls and nobody says anything. I make a list and THEN people are full of suggestions! :P Kidding! Keep em coming, I'm open to anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:28 pm 

ions wrote:
Itinerary updated. I ask people to suggest falls and nobody says anything. I make a list and THEN people are full of suggestions! :P Kidding! Keep em coming, I'm open to anything.

It'll be my first time to the falls, so it doesn't really matter for me. I trust your judgement :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:45 am 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 3 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/qualdoth/
Just registered and my wife will register a bit later. Unless we can carpool with someone, I suspect the wife and I will likely rent a car specifically to attend this event. In that case, we may be able to provide a ride for 1 or 2 people from the downtown area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:22 am 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 3 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/qualdoth/
I've now rented a car for Saturday. If anyone needs a ride from downtown please PM me. Otherwise, see everyone Saturday morning!